GGN Press Conference in ITB 2019
GLOBAL GEOPARKS NETWORK
CELEBRATING 15 YEARS OF ACTIVITIES
The 3rd International GGN Press Conference in the International Tourism Bourse in Berlin, was successfully organized on March 5th 2019 aiming the presentation of the achievements of the Global Geoparks Network during the last 15 years and the 140 UNESCO Global Geoparks worldwide.
15 years ago, in February 2004 the Global Geoparks Network was born at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris aiming the protection and rational management of the Earth’s geological heritage sites and their utilization as a tool for the sustainable development of the territories hosting these outstanding heritage sites.
25 territories were included in the first List of the Global Geoparks
During the last 15 years Global Geoparks Network through networking and hard work, presented concrete results in the protection, conservation and management of outstanding geological heritage sites, in building infrastructure and geotourism services, in environmental education, in local development and the creation of new jobs and new opportunities for young people in rural areas.
Thus in 2015 the UNESCO General Conference unanimously decided the creation of the UNESCO Global Geoparks, its statutes and operation guidelines and the Global Geoparks Network became the official partner of UNESCO for the management of the UNESCO Global Geoparks, the third site designation of UNESCO together with World Heritage Sites and Man and Biosphere Reserves.
15 years later, the Global Geoparks Network expanded in 5 continents, 35 countries to include 140 UNESCO Global Geoparks!
The GGN Press Conference followed the ITB 2019 Opening Press Conference and it was the only other Press Event happening on March 5th, reaching the interest of the journalists in a day empty from other communication events.
From the GGN Press Conference
At the GGN Press Conference participated 50 journalists from German and International media.
After the presentation of the coordinator of the GGN Press Conference Mrs. Traeger the following presentations took place:
• Prof. Nickolas Zouros, GGN President: “The Global Geoparks Network : Geoconservation – Geotourism – Geoeducation and Sustainable development 15 years of achievements in partnership with UNESCO ”
• Dr. Kristin Rangnes, EGN Coordinator : UNESCO Global Geoparks and Geotourism Development in Europe
• Dr. Marie-Luise Frey, GGN ExB: “Collaboration of World Heritage Sites and Global Geoparks Network for Sustainable Tourism”
N. Zouros presented the Global Geoparks Network, and its activities
Kristin Rangnes presenting the GGN activities to promote Geotourism
M-L Frey presenting the GGN as a learning platform of collaboration
All three presentations covered important topics such as:
• The Global Geoparks Network : 15 years achievements in partnership with UNESCO
• UNESCO Global Geoparks at the GGN Stand in ITB 2019-03-06 and
• UNESCO Global Geoparks as sustainable tourism destinations
• Which are the tourist products that Geoparks are bringing to the tourism market?
• New UNESCO Global Geoparks in 2018
• New Applications of territories to be come UNESCO Global Geoparks
• Geoparks networking, cooperation and twinning agreements
• Geopark Collaboration Projects
• Geopark capacity building activities
• UNESCO Global Geoparks and educational activities
• 9th International Conference on UNESCO Global Geoparks 2020 in Jeju Island, Republic of Korea
• 6th Asian Pacific Geoparks Network Symposium – Rinjiani-Lombok UNESCO Global Geopark, Indonesia, 2-7 September 2019
• 15th European Geoparks Conference, Sierra Norte de Sevilla UNESCO Global Geopark, Spain 23-27 September 2019
The delegation of Langkawi UNESCO Global Geopark with the presenters
At the Press Conference was also present a delegation from the Langkawi UNESCO Global Geopark as Malaysia was the official Partner Country of ITB 2019
There were also present delegations from the UNESCO Global Geoparks : Bergstrasse-Odenwald Germany, Lesvos island – Greece, Troodos – Cyprus, Psiloritis - Greece.
Our general feeling is that the event was very successful and the participating journalists showed great interest which we believe will bring publicity in many media, in Germany and also in international media.
The Press Conference was organized in a very professional way, the programme and especially the time of the Press Conference were very convenient for the media.
Distributed material to the Journalists:
• A Folder with Press Releases and Information in German,
• the GGN Leaflet and Map,
• the Global Geoparks Network Brochure No 2/2018
• the new GGN Newsletter No 3/2018
• the new EGN Magazine No 16/2019